musings: what’s in a name?

21 Sep

I name things. Inanimate objects, plants, wild animals. Teddy the Wondermunk is a good example. So is his new friend, Edward (also a chipmunk), who appears to have made his home under our front porch. When I was a kid, everything — I mean everything, including rocks and spiders — was named George, sometimes by me and sometimes by my dad, who was the one who taught me to name things George. These days, I’ve added more variety. A few months ago, we had two spiders living in the cellar eating every other spider that wandered into their path. I named them Bonnie and Clyde.

Here’s a rundown of everyone living in Location 27 today (apologies for the iPhone photo quality!):

plants with names: spike, fred, george
From left to right: Spike, Fred and George (There’s still always at least one.)

plants with names: planticus
Planticus

plants with names: harold, big bird, gloria, lord count quigan
Back: Harold
Middle: Big Bird and Gloria
Front: Lord Count Quigan (He’s been having a rough time of it lately. I am trying to bring him back, but I think he’s having some depression issues due to my husband’s refusal to acknowledge his name.)

plants with names: lagoya (la-hoy-a)
LaGoya (pronounced La-Hoy-a)

plants with names: enzo/kevin
Enzo (My husband, however, calls him Kevin, because he swears Enzo told him that his real name is Kevin.)

stuff with names: finesse and alonzo
Finesse and Alonzo

And not pictured: Kitty (the car) and Izzy (the iMac).

That list is actually a lot shorter than I would have expected. Then again, we’ve only lived here for seven months. Give me time.

The names usually just come to me, and I like to think that it’s because they all introduce themselves, but realistically I’m probably just that special breed of “special” reserved for the crazy aunt who talks to spoons. Odd then that on Saturday, when my mother-in-law surprised my husband and I with this adorable Dwarf Brush Cherry bonsai…

plants with names: bonsai needs a name!

…to celebrate our fourth wedding anniversary (coming up tomorrow!), the little gal’s (or guy’s!) name just wouldn’t come to me. It still hasn’t. I feel like the darn tree is holding out on me!

That’s why we need you. I may be a spoon-talking freak as previously mentioned, but he needs a name. How can I stand there and water her like we’re just a couple of strangers? So send me your best suggestion. And maybe be so kind as to let me know if anyone out there is crazy enough to admit that they’re on a naming spree just like me. Or, for that matter, feel free to share if anyone out there actually does talk to spoons. Then again, you probably don’t want to admit that.

About these ads

16 Responses to “musings: what’s in a name?”

1. Amanda September 21, 2011 at 8:45 am #

We used to name houseflies George! Me and my dad. How funny. I don’t know about the bonsai name, but it looks like a lady tree to me. I think you guys are adorable (loved the Kevin/Enzo bit), and are not crazy at all. Best of luck naming the little tree!!!

• the husband September 21, 2011 at 9:19 am #

It’s not a joke, either. I went in to the bathroom one morning and, as is custom, went to say “Good morning, Enzo,” but instead, “Kevin” came out.

I’m telling you all right now: His. Name. Is. Kevin.

• me September 21, 2011 at 9:38 am #

Enzo’s name is Enzo. And it hurts him when you call him Kevin.

Meanwhile, I totally agree with Amanda that the cherry bonsai seems like a lady. But I’ve been reserving judgment until she/he tells me her name!

• the husband September 21, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

You just don’t understand the connection that Kevin and I have.

• me September 21, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

No. No I don’t. Because I don’t know who Kevin is. I only know Enzo.

2. Lauren Wagner September 21, 2011 at 9:38 am #

after looking at the photo, all I can think of is Ariel…..but I hate that name…..it has too much disney connected to it……I”ll keep thinking and see if it talks to me. Also, I’m pretty sure I still have george the rock that I’m pretty sure either loved or hated your george the rock. :-D
    As for naming stuff….a friend of mine names everything as well……including all of his harddrives/computers. they are also based off of what they do. If it’s meant for camera stuff it has to do with eyes…..stuff like that……Talking to spoons is OK, its when the spoons start talking back that you have to start worrying!

• me September 21, 2011 at 9:44 am #

Well, I hope she tells you her name, because she still isn’t talking to me. The spoons aren’t supposed to talk back?

• JoeTheSpoon September 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm #

Hey, what’s wrong with a talking spoon!?

• me September 21, 2011 at 4:07 pm #

Not you, Joe. You’re the exception. I very much enjoy our conversations.

3. Tara Bellucci September 21, 2011 at 11:50 am #

She looks like a Claire to me. But then, plants don’t usually live long enough to have names around me.

• me September 21, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

I usually have a black thumb, too! For some reason, this new house seems to have given me the power to keep plants alive. With the possible exception of Lord Count Quigan. His fate remains to be seen…

4. Liz VA September 21, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

I knew there was a reason I started naming the inanimate objects in my life! It all started freshman year on the 9th floor of Warren A Tower. And now Jorge (the iTouch), Enrique (the camera), Frank-ay (the Flip Video) and Jose (the iMac) enrich my existence. Thanks Kim!

• me September 21, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

Yay! I love when people thank me for being crazy! Did we have names for anything in our Warren Towers room? I feel like we did… Also, I am suddenly struck with the realization that my iPhone has no name. I have had him for a year, and he is nameless. I am a horrible person.

5. Lauren Wagner September 26, 2011 at 1:14 pm #

I thought I would let you know I recently found a little wolf spider at school and took a picture of him and named him George! Just for you and our rocks!!!!!! Ah, nostalgia…….

• me September 26, 2011 at 9:26 pm #

Yay! The world needs more spiders named George.

6. Lauren Wagner September 26, 2011 at 10:10 pm #

I agree, as long as they stay away from me…..wolf spiders are harmless, but they still creep me out!
    I guess I”ll name all the rando animals at school george now. Which I guess means there are TONS of geckos at school named George too!